Etta + Billie makes sustainable bath and body products inspired by the connection that communities have around food and nature.
Founder Alana Rivera creates soaps, body oils, balms and more with all natural ingredients that trigger sense memories of joy and comfort – think a fantastic pastry from grandma or a memorable walk through Muir woods. Alana doesn’t just talk the talk, she’s running a certified San Francisco Green Business, and wants you to live green too. Here she shares her DIY summer face mask recipe.
- 1-2 tbsp super finely ground oatmeal or colloidal oatmeal (gently cleanses + exfoliates for brighter skin).
- 1/8-1/4 tsp lemon juice – Note that lemon juice/oil can make skin more sensitive to the sun so keep that in mind when you decide to make and apply the mask (i.e. Sunday night, instead of Sunday morning).
- 1/2 tsp local honey (Why? Because it soothes skin, hydrates, and can help clear up blemishes).
- 1 strawberry or 2 blueberries (Why? Because they contain a whole lotta antioxidants which help fight free radicals, i.e. they help slow down the aging process of cells).
Small bowl, whisk, spoon, and clean hands.
- Take a small bowl, add 1-2 strawberries/blueberries and mash.
- Add 1/8-1/4 tsp of lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Add 1 tsp of honey and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add 1-2 tbsp oatmeal.
- Mix together with spoon or whisk until blended well.
- Apply to clean damp skin, being very careful to stay away from eye area (lemon juice + eyes = a lot of expletives). Gently massage mask into face using small circular motions. Leave mask on for about 5-10 minutes (perfect time to read your favorite book, blog, magazine and maybe sip on some Rose). Rinse mask off with luke-warm water, pat skin dry, apply toner if you have it (I like plain old rose water or orange water), apply a favorite serum or face oil (like my bath + body oil), then a light to medium weight moisturizer (I like Birdy Botanicals and Aesop).
Apply mask 1-2 times a week and your skin will be in lovely condition.